To me, Red Wine is like chocolate. Rich, decadent and addicting. I can’t say I always felt that way. I definitely was and still am a true “white wine girl” but when a certain red is good, it is really good.
Of my two favorite red wine varietals, (Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir), I choose to feature some suggestions on finding the perfect Pinot.
According to Sunset magazine, there are 6 ways to tell if a Pinot is truly a Pinot.
1. Light in color – Pinot Noir grapes have less pigment than most other reds, it is normal if it appears a bit translucent.
2. Complex flavors
Smells of: Cloves, Cinnamon, Violets, Mint, Mushrooms
Tastes of: Licorice, Espresso, Chocolate, Pepper & Berries
3. Light weight – Rule of thumb is delicacy over impact and silkiness over tannin.
4. Low Alcohol content – below 14% (lower percentages capture the character best)
5. Cool growing region – Oregon’s Willamette Valley, Northern California’s Anderson Valley, Carneros Region, Sonoma, Santa Maria Valley, Marlborough and South Island New Zealand.
6. Flexible food pairing: (dishes you normally drink white wine with) Scallops, Black Cod, Salmon, Spicy Tuna, Roast Chicken and Camembert & Gruyère cheeses.
Luella says…Red please.
To start, our lovely neighbor Laynie gave us a bottle of Pinot Noir as a wedding gift this past July. She had been at the Saarloos & Sons winery and said it was amazing and that we HAD to go when we had the chance. Here is a little bit of what awaits us…
(click on the bottles and images for Wine & Vineyard Information)
SAARLOOS & SONS “Extended Family” Pinot Noir
TASTING ROOM & CUPCAKE CONFECTIONERY
Los Olivos, CA
(We have not induldged in this bottle yet as we are saving it for a rainy day celebration but I will let you know when we do.)
Now on to the rest of my choices.
WAIPARA WEST Pinot Noir
South Island, New Zealand
ETUDE Pinot Noir
Carneros Region, (Napa, CA)
MARTINBOROUGH Pinot Noir
Wairarapa Region, New Zealand
FOGDOG Pinot Noir
Sonoma Region CA
ANNE AMIE Pinot Noir
Willamette Valley, Oregon
A to Z Pinot Noir
Northwest Region, Oregon
ISABEL ESTATE Pinot Noir
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
CASTLE ROCK Pinot Noir
Carneros Region (Napa, CA)
DOMAINE DROUHIN Pinot Noir
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Our good friend Mason has an excellent wine blog at www.nickelanddimewine.com.
He is a wine aficionado and has excellent choices at affordable prices in all varietals, so check him out!!
Indulge in a glass of wine, no matter what, you deserve it.
- Taste Pinot Noir in a tasteful setting (sfgate.com)
- Bargains In Pinot Noir (goodwineunder20.blogspot.com)
- Top 10 wines of the week (steveheimoff.com)
- Fogdog Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2007 Wine Review (NW) (winecask.blogspot.com)
- Willamette Valley Vineyards: Shades of Burgundy (winepeeps.com)
- Napa’s Etude is a thorough study in winemaking (sfgate.com)